Monday, April 5, 2010

I am really happy to be posting the long awaited pictures of the playground today! The company came March 17th to install it and the kids of my town-- as well as a few teens and adults, which may or may not include yours truly-- have been delighted, playing on it ever since. All during the installation the neighborhood kids were there watching and helping out where they could. One of my chica´s poderosas´s said, `Tesa, who would´ve thought that here we´d ever have a playground!` It was so sweet. Every time I pass the soccer field there is always a bunch of kids playing, and many times there are little kids with their parents, which was one of the goals of the project: encourage families to spend time togethere in an active way, as well as develop friendships between familias in town. I believe it has been quite successful on that account and am excited to plan an inauguration with the development association to take place in the coming weeks.

On another note, I have been blown away by the response of family and friends in support of the book drive for the elementary school. It means so much to me-- and I know it will mean a lot to the kids of my town who will benefit tremendously. I am looking forward to going to San Jose this coming week with the school principal and a parent of one of the students to pick out the books. The children and I plan to write thank you notes to each of you, but for now I want to say muchisimas gracias to everyone for your generous donations.

Time is flying by as I´m finishing up my time here. I will be flying home to the US on May 15th-- almost a month away. It is really bittersweet-- everyone here is constantly saying how they can´t believe I´m leaving and I think part of me doesn´t believe it either. I´ve been here for 2 years and have truly acclimatized to life in the country. On the other hand, I have my family and friends to get back to and I´m anxiously eager to begin ´anew´ after my two-year hiatus. I believe the key, which I try to do with every experience in my life, is take it day by day and appreciate the moments each day brings, because very soon it will all seem like a distant memory. Here´s to `carpe diem.`

Pura Vida,

Tes




























1 comment:

Perezosita said...

finally an update!! tes i can't believe you come home so soon- enjoy your final days. can not WAIT to see you =)